The smell of surf wax always reminds us of the beach. It’s sweet like coconut, and smells like an afternoon of sunny rays, sand and sea salt. We wanted to make something that would allow our house to smell like summertime even in the coldest winter (which is quickly creeping upon us). If you want to brighten your home and give new life to the worn out 10mm wax covering your surf board, here’s your chance: let’s make DIY surf wax candles!!
What do you need?
- Wax (recovered from one of your boards, don't have your own - offer to clean up your friends board).
- A wick.
- A container to hold your candle (be creative, this can be a shell, the container of an old candle, a glass).
- A container where you can mix and melt your wax (you do not want to buy a new pot as it will be unusable after this session).
Step 1: Remove the wax from your board.
Step 2: Melt the wax.
- Place it in a metal container (an aluminum tray will do nicely) and heat gently until the wax is liquid.
Step 3: Assemble.
- Place the metal end of the wick in the center of your container. Tie the end of the wick to a stick that you put in two lenses to keep it perfectly right.
Step 4: Pour.
- Dust and sand should have settled to the bottom. Be careful not to pour the sand into your container.
Step 5: Wait.
Let your candle cool off before cutting the wick to the length you want.
Step 6: Sit back, relax, smell the beach and dream away!